Monday, November 08, 2004

Early Lessons

My favorite arguments are those of moral and cultural relativism. It's amusing to watch people who consider themselves very cultured and accepting squirm when confronted with the less romantic practices of some cultures.

When faced with relativistic views, I find myself torn on the issues of international human rights groups. Is the UDHR the bible of the 20th century, giving groups like Amnesty the freedom to crusade and enforce our beliefs on other societies? In future years will young children sit and shun our interference in other cultures the way we shun the British?

1 Comments:

Blogger luke_d said...

Personally, I like the UDHR. However, I think you're right. Trying to decide when and how we should step into the situations in other countries is one of the most difficult that I can think of.

Technically, in my own view, there is no such thing as the right answer. I think we can only act on our best guesses as to what action on our part would best suit the most plausable objective ethical systems. Even if we agree that relativism is true, we must assume an objective standpoint in order to act when crossing relativistic boundaries.

PS--I like your site

January 16, 2005 at 2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home